Wednesday 13 January 2016

pwc - Tax College leaver programme


Ndiwe from PwC comments on her Tax School & College leaver programme

I chose a School & College leaver programme because…
I liked the idea of working towards a professional qualification that would have a direct link to the work I’d do on a day-to-day basis and I wanted to further my learning without incurring the financial cost of going to university. For me PwC’s School & College leaver programme was the perfect opportunity for me to achieve my career goals, with the added benefit of earning a salary.
The first thing I do when I get to work is…
I make a cup of tea and check my calendar. Once I’ve checked my calendar to see what meetings I have that day, I then look at my emails and action anything outstanding from the previous day in order of priority and action accordingly.
Advice I’d give for a smooth transition from school into work is to…
1)    Take advantage of pre-joiner networking opportunities. The more familiar faces you recognise on your first day in the office, the less nervous you’ll be.
2)    Ask any questions you may have, whether it’s to the recruitment team or your school careers advisor.
My top tips for working as a School Leaver…
1)    Ask questions. It’s the only way you’ll learn and expand your knowledge, whether it’s technical questions to help you do your job better, or practical things, like how to use a printer. People will be more than happy to help.
2)    Get involved in different projects and committees, it’s the best way to expand your internal network and gives you exposure to different roles and activities that may be available.
3)    Nobody knows how much work you have unless you tell them, so if you’re working at full capacity and you can’t take on any more work, let your team know, they’ll appreciate your honesty.
Within the School Leavers programme your main responsibilities are…
Responsibilities vary across different business areas. In Tax, your main responsibilities will be the preparation of tax returns and holding client meetings to gain the information needed to prepare client tax returns and explain the tax position that will be taken.
The aspects of my role I enjoy most are…
I really enjoy studying towards my professional qualification as it’s nice to see that what I’m learning actually impacts my work through the advice I’m able to give my clients and my technical ability. My role is really rewarding and frequently offers the opportunity to learn about new topics and apply my improving knowledge.
PwC’s opportunities
Find out more about our Business Insight Week, School and College leaver programmes, Flying Start degree programme, Career Open Days and virtual events by visiting our website. If you’re going to university it’s important to study a subject you love. Whatever that is, it could still lead you to a place on one of our graduate training programmes.

Take the opportunity of a lifetime. Join PwC. We'll help you realise your potential.
pwc.com/uk/schools

No comments: